With easter around the corner it brings with it one of the greatest easter treats out; creme eggs. This month I am going to share some of the best easter recipes I can find on the web. Everything from rocky road to cheesecake.
I can safely say that my March goals are not going in the direction I hoped they would. Giving up chocolate completely is hard. However, cutting out chocolate a little bit at a time is easy. That is why i don’t feel as bad sharing this fabulous creme egg rocky road recipe by Taming Twins.
- 150g Unsalted butter
- 250g Dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g Milk chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Golden syrup
- 180g Mini Creme Eggs, unwrapped
- 180g Mini marshmallows
- 150g Digestive biscuits, crushed into chunks
- 150g White chocolate, chopped
- Yellow gel food colouring
- 8 Creme Eggs (full size, unwrapped)
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat.
- When it’s about half melted, add the dark chocolate, the milk chocolate.and the golden syrup.Over a very low heat, continue to melt it all. Stir until it’s thick and well combined.
- Remove from the heat and set
aside for 10 minutes until it’s cooled slightly.
- Add the mini Creme Eggs, the marshmallows and the digestive biscuits, stir until everything is well coated.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with baking paper and press the mixture firmly in.
- Meanwhile melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of steaming water. Make sure you keep the temperature very low as white chocolate can seize easily.
- Take half of the melted chocolate and put in another small bowl, colour until very deep yellow using the gel food colour, just a very small amount at a time.
- Drizzle the white chocolate and the coloured white chocolate over the rocky road, cut the full size Creme Eggs in half and sit in the chocolate, pressing in firmly.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Turn out of the tin and cut into small chunks using a very sharp knife.
Finally this fabulous recipe also comes with some handy tips to ensure your rocky road turns out just like in the picture and tastes exactly how it should.
- Make sure you do melt the butter slightly before adding the chocolate, this stops the chocolate from burning.
- Only use a very, very low heat. Or the chocolate, butter, syrup mixture will seize and go grainy.
- Make sure you do allow it to cool before adding anything else or the mini Creme Eggs and the marshmallows will melt. Still tasty but not quite as pretty.
- If the slab is too hard to cut straight out of the fridge, allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.